Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Kitchen Essentials: Spontaneity

I was fortunate tonight; Carey threw together an exceptional pasta because I was upstairs working a bit later than I hoped. If I knew exactly how she made it I would certainly write about it. Unfortunately for all of us, it was eaten as quickly as it was made without any discussion on its assembly. I know this: it was a quick toss of garlic, crushed red pepper, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, EV olive oil and maybe a splash of balsamic vinegar over tortellini (Carey, please comment if I missed something). Simple - yes, but I think that the best meals are often the result of fast and unplanned execution. Carey, like so many home cooks, tends to over-think and over-prepare her meals and, like an athlete, she can psych herself out of just going for it. Our most tasty meals are usually spontaneous amalgamations of random on-hand ingredients. This is why I don't generally discuss measurements in what I make, nor do I pay attention to them in recipes that I read.

For me, a successful dish is usually the result of combining ingredients that play well with others. Think about it: tomato and basil; pork and rosemary; garlic and... well... anything! If a recipe calls for a particular ingredient and you happen to really like the flavor... use as much of it as you like! Our lives are governed by rules and regulations; allow your time in the kitchen to be free from the confines of law and order. If you need such governance to guide your hand, I suggest you take up baking.

Believe me, I'm not bashing cookbooks; I read them... in fact, Carey just bought me a Vietnamese cook book from the bargain bin last Sunday and I can't wait to crack the spine. I find inspiration in them and I'm completely amazed by the talent of the chefs who can create original dishes (and then take the time to write down precisely what they did). Do yourself, and those for whom you cook, a favor and try to just go for it. You might be surprised at how good of a cook you really are.

"The essence of pleasure is spontaneity" -Germaine Greer

(P.S. I jumped on the scale this morning and I'm down 2 lbs. this week without feeling hungry - booya)

1 comment:

  1. I chopped up a couple of anchovies and mixed it up with the garlic and olive oil before adding the grape tomatoes. I steamed the broccoli for a few minutes, cooked the tortellini and added those components to the tomatoes last minute. Toss and serve. Voila!

    ReplyDelete