Monday, January 25, 2010

Hey Big Tuna

For the first time in a few weeks we had fish that wasn't salmon and let me tell you - it was exciting! I made my weekly pilgrimage to the Strip District last Saturday and stopped at all of the regular places - Penn Mac, Stan’s, Stamooli's, Reyna Foods and Restaurant Depot. I didn't really get anything exciting because I was pressed for time but I did split a 10lb. case of ahi-grade tuna with my aunt. This tuna was the main player tonight for dinner and it didn't disappoint.

The preparation was simple and we paired the fish with a tasty salad (dressed with red wine vinaigrette with some herbs and lemon). Here's how the fish was done:
  • For the marinade - mix lime juice, lime zest, finely chopped garlic, adobo chili powder, cilantro and some canola oil. Whisk those ingredients to combine and allow the tuna to rest in the mixture for at least an hour.
  • To cook the fish - heat a fry pan (NOT NON-STICK) with canola oil until just before it begins to smoke.
  • Gently place the tuna steaks on the oil and allow a crust to form (just a couple of minutes). Flip the fish to develop the crust on the other side. Let rest for a few minutes before slicing.
This is really an easy fish to cook as long as you follow a few simple rules:
  • DO NOT USE A NON-STICK PAN! The reason is because you will not be able to properly create a crust on the fish.
  • Make sure your pan is hot before you place the fish on the heat.
  • When you are searing the fish, do not move it around in the pan. Again, the nice crust that you're going for won't develop and the fish might break apart.
Now that we have two healthy fish options in the freezer, I look forward to messing around with some new and exciting flavors. I think we're in for some really good surprises in the next few weeks!

2 comments:

  1. Oh how nice, a trip to the Strip District, to which you had invited me, then didn't call or return my text. Dick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you said you didn't want to go early and, as always, I went early.

    I'll let you know next Saturday (jerk)

    ReplyDelete